This year I have been taking part in the Incredible Years programme run by local RTLB's through the MOE. It's a programme that focuses on nurturing positive relationships with students and parents to promote academic growth. So far there have been 3 sessions and the overall view I have so far is that although a lot of it is not entirely new and is often what I am doing in the classroom there are aspects and ideas that I can use in the classroom. It's also a conformation of the way my class works and how I relate to the children.
A couple of points I have taken so far from the programme are centred around the need to focus on the positive and the language you use and the way you use it. A good example of this is Positive Forecasting that outlines the positive behavioural outcome expected in a way that tells the child that they are capable of achieving it. It is also essential to look closely and analytically at the behaviour of the children who are the focus so that interventions and solutions can be targeted specifically. Maintaining positive contact with parents also plays a big part in the programme.
I look forward to further sessions to gain more insight and knowledge.
A couple of points I have taken so far from the programme are centred around the need to focus on the positive and the language you use and the way you use it. A good example of this is Positive Forecasting that outlines the positive behavioural outcome expected in a way that tells the child that they are capable of achieving it. It is also essential to look closely and analytically at the behaviour of the children who are the focus so that interventions and solutions can be targeted specifically. Maintaining positive contact with parents also plays a big part in the programme.
I look forward to further sessions to gain more insight and knowledge.
It is so important as teachers to be positive. It is incredibly easy to focus on the negative as thats what draws our attention. Well done for making the changes, even though its not new.
ReplyDelete